Sitecore Powershell Extension is a great tool/module developed by Adam Najmanowicz and Michael West that provides a command line and scripting environment for automating tasks.
Sitecore Powershell Extensions works with Sitecore process, which can make native calls to Sitecore APIs and allows to change/update the Sitecore Items on the fly. The same Windows PowerShell syntax is used for running commands and writing scripts.
Installing Sitecore Powershell Extensions Module:
- In order to Install SPE module, search for “powershell” in Sitecore marketplace- http://marketplace.sitecore.net/
- Download and Install “Sitecore Powershell Extensions” module.
- Once the module is installed, you have access to both console and ISE, see screen shot for ref:
There are several things which can be done using SPE module, which includes:
- Getting Sitecore Item.
- Getting child Items.
- Get Item by path.
- Get Items from all languages and versions.
- Making bulk updates.
- Publishing Sitecore Items.
- Deleting Items based on specific conditions and
- Several other features.
I just started using it, and the feature/benefits it provides is making me it’s addict.
In the next posts, i will be sharing my learning with the community, including some of the commonly used commands which can make developers life easy.
Thanks again to Michael West and Adam Najmanowicz for this wonderful module.
I hope this helps somebody, and stay tuned for more.
Happy learning 🙂